Bechtel Corporation Project Systems Safety Engineer, PH (217710) in Cape Canaveral, Florida
Requisition ID: 217710
Position Title: Project Systems Safety Engineer, PH (217710)
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Relocation Authorized: None
US Citizenship Required: Yes
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen and background check; Possess an active secret security clearance or able to obtain one upon hire
Bechtel is one of the most respected engineering, project management and construction companies in the world. In our Nuclear, Security and Environmental (NS&E) global business unit, the demand for our expertise is growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research and development through engineering, procurement, construction and operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner and safer.
Develops and supervises the implementation of Project System Safety Program/Plan in accordance with the ES&H Core Processes, applicable governmental regulations/requirements, and client requirements. Develops and implements project specific safety design criteria and specifications in coordination with engineering. Performs and/or facilitates various hazard analysis efforts required by the design and service requirements of the project/process.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
1. Provides technical assistance/guidance to engineering, construction, and startup regarding operability safety.
2. Develops and supervises the implementation of the Project System Safety Plan for a specific project or facility in accordance with the ES&H Procedures and Core Processes, client and/or host country requirements, and applicable government regulations/requirements.
3. Develops, reviews, edits and supervises the maintenance of the project ES&H databases for Hazard Tracking and Corrective Action Tracking.
4. Develops, analyzes and integrates process safety information into studies and reports.
5. Interacts with design, engineering, construction, and operations personnel to identify causal factors and develops recommendations to mitigate identified hazards and risks associated with project operations, equipment, software and/or facilities.
6. Performs advanced predictive assessments and hazard analyses of subsystem and system hardware, processes, equipment, software and logic for project or facility operations.
7. Supervises and conducts activities to confirm issue/hazard resolution for closure of risk reduction activities.
8. Coordinates the distribution of information relative to hazard identification, hazard resolution schedules and tracks issues to closure.
9. Interacts with responsible parties to affect timely resolution of issues and to inform management if appropriate resolution is not achieved.
10. Interprets the requirements of the Bechtel Core Processes for project risk reduction applications.
11. Remains cognizant of applicable federal, state, local, and/or host country system safety regulations and requirements as they apply to projects and facilities. Disseminates information on new/revised regulations to engineering, construction, field managers and safety personnel.
12. Conducts cross-training of other personnel in professional or discipline-specific skills, techniques and procedures.
13. Implements, supervises, and conducts project awareness activities and toolbox sessions for project/facility manual/non-manual personnel as requested/
14. Interprets national and international recognized ES&H standards and applies them to projects and facilities. Integrates these standards with client and/or host country requirements.
- Bachelor of Science degree in the sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, public health), engineering, or related from an accredited college or university and 6+ years of related work experience. In lieu of a degree, a high school diploma and 12+ years of related work experience
Experience in developing and implementing process system safety programs on projects or facilities.
Experience in developing and supervising the implementation of a Hazard Analysis System, Project System Safety Plan, risk assessment program and a Hazard/Mitigation Tracking System.
Experience in analyzing risk factors using quantification and/or qualification techniques.
Ability to integrate Bechtel risk assessment/reduction processes into project specific applications; ability to develop, analyze and integrate information into studies and reports.
Working knowledge of governmental standards, rules and regulations, and experience in applying them on projects or facilities.
Knowledge of technical vocabularies and terminology common to system safety, industrial hygiene, health physics, safety engineering, and environmental compliance.
Knowledge of database applications to process system safety programs.
Advanced knowledge of software applications especially tracking and reporting applications, creating spreadsheets with mathematical functions, and developing presentations and reports.
Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Knowledge of Bechtel standard computer applications.
Knowledge of Bechtel’s organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
Knowledge of NASA System Safety requirements desirable.
Typically possesses certification in Systems Safety specialty from a nationally or internationally recognized certifying body.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.