Bechtel Corporation Sr Safety Specialist, PH (217709) in Cape Canaveral, Florida
Requisition ID: 217709
Position Title: Sr Safety Specialist, PH (217709)
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Relocation Authorized: None
US Citizenship Required: Yes
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen and background check; Possess an active secret security clearance or able to obtain one upon hire
Bechtel is one of the most respected engineering, project management and construction companies in the world. In our Nuclear, Security and Environmental (NS&E) global business unit, the demand for our expertise is growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research and development through engineering, procurement, construction and operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner and safer.
Integrates safety issues and requirements into proposals, planning documents, government documents, design specifications and criteria, construction plans and schedules, bid specifications, and subcontract packages for projects. Has technical responsibility for interpreting complex requirements, evaluating and applying appropriate safety engineering principles, and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving and maintaining compliance with safety requirements. Provides technical assistance to other safety professionals assigned to projects and other project functions.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
1. Provides input on bid decisions, proposal development, and estimates (scope, constraints, schedules, budgets) with respect to integration and compliance with safety requirements.
2. Provides technical support to safety studies, health assessment studies, and project risk assessments.
3. Coordinates appropriate consideration of safety requirements with subcontracts, engineering, and construction personnel as assigned.
4. Provides safety technical support and assistance to projects and coordinates safety requirements and formulation of risk reduction measures with project-assigned safety personnel, engineering, construction and onsite ES&H representatives during construction.
5. Participates in meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of safety requirements that may affect project design, schedule, and cost.
6. Drafts comprehensive ES&H plans, project specific risk reduction plans, safety awareness training programs, and technical reports.
7. Provides recommendations and input for revising safety procedures, work processes, and other quality improvement measures.
8. Conducts safety inspections/assessments of project construction activities to monitor compliance with applicable safety and health requirements including contractual commitments, permits, and the project’s ES&H plan.
9. When in supervisory role, implements personnel policies (e.g., conducts employee performance evaluations) and provides technical direction to staff.
Bachelor of Science degree in the sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, public health) or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university and 6+ years of related work experience. In lieu of a degree, a high school diploma and 12+ years of related work experience
Related work experience could include but is not limited to work experience in office settings (e.g., managing safety/health programs, budgets and staff) and field locations (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
Advanced knowledge in a field of science, safety/industrial engineering, or related discipline.
Knowledge of safety procedures, engineering systems, principles, and methodologies.
Knowledge of national and international safety laws/regulations and regulatory agencies’ processes and responsibilities, industry standards/practices for safety and health compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential safety risks during project execution.
Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work processes.
Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of safety and/or health subcontractors or consultants.
Experience in safety inspections/assessments during construction.
Knowledge of hazardous materials and physical risk exposures and Personal Protective Equipment standards as well as People Based Safety processes and procedures.
Skilled in oral and written communication.
Knowledge of Bechtel standard computer applications/
Knowledge of Bechtel’s organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
Knowledge of NASA safety requirements preferred.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.