Bechtel Corporation Lead Field Welding Engineer in Iquique, Chile
Requisition ID: 214340
Assigned to the project team as a representative of the Construction functional group and serves as a link between Construction and other members of the project team. Ensures that construction requirements are made known to the project team in a timely manner and obtains construction responses to the needs of other members of the project team.
Performs the duties of direct staff assistant to the Construction Manager and functions as the liaison between office entities and field construction.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives operational supervision from the Construction Manager; technical direction and guidance is provided by the Chief Construction Engineer.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides guidance to project personnel, as assigned.
- Contacts are with the Construction Manager, construction support groups, Project Engineering, Procurement, Project Controls and field project support personnel including field management and client representatives.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Inputs construction considerations into plant siting evaluations and overall plant design philosophies in early design phases of the project.
2. Follows design development and, where possible, suggests economical construction details to be incorporated into design drawings and specifications.
3. Interfaces with other coordinators and Construction Engineering groups to develop the most economical construction methods and techniques.
4. Participates in overall construction plans, layouts, and organization.
5. Participates in project team evaluation of office contracts/subcontracts. Assists in the issuance of field contracts/ subcontracts before the field office is established.
6. Develops field organization and construction equipment bar charts, with the assistance of the construction support groups, for the Field Construction Manager.
7. Develops the construction portion of the Project Procedure Manual.
8. Works with Project Engineering, the Construction Manager and construction support groups to develop the scope and layout of temporary facilities.
9. Reviews the implementation of the quality control program by construction.
10. Reviews communications received by the Construction group for the project and performs the necessary actions for the Construction Manager with his approval and/or direction. Visits the jobsite, as required.
11. In the absence of the Construction Manager, interfaces activities with the Project Manager.
12. Works closely with the Field Construction Manager and coordinates efforts and activities to meet the project requirements. Participates in the resolution of problems when requested by the Field Construction Manager.
13. Participates in meetings with project team members, other Bechtel entities, and client personnel as required.
14. Uses individual knowledge and familiarity with the assigned job as well as past experience, with assistance from the construction support groups, to identify potential problem areas or trends.
15. Communicates directly with the field and office project team members regarding significant problem areas and solutions.
16. Reviews cost reports and schedule reports: Highlights major problem areas, worsening trends, budget overruns, and quantity variances, and brings them to the attention of the Construction Manager and other responsible project personnel.
17. Maintains awareness of any major quantity changes due to design evolution or scope change. Verifies that field and office documents agree.
18. Follows expediting reports of purchased items and coordinates with Procurement for special expediting of potential late items which jeopardize the schedule.
19. Prepares input on Construction group and Materials and Quality Services (M&QS) budgets for the cognizant Construction Manager. Monitors Construction budgets on a monthly basis.
20. Participates in the preparation and review of construction cost estimates, budgets, forecasts and schedules.
21. Reviews the weekly progress and work force reports and correlates data for reasonableness, hours worked, percentage complete, performance, and schedule.
22. Reviews each cost trend and forecast at the project team review meetings and assesses the reasonableness and/or accuracy of the data assembled by Project Controls for field Planning and Scheduling. Thoroughly reviews labor productivity, distributable accounts, quantities, manpower projections and curves, schedules, and scope changes.
23. Checks to see that the approved reports listed in the Field Reports Manual are being received and that the distribution is as listed.
Thorough knowledge of a specific construction engineering discipline gained through a combination of related education and construction experience.
Broad based knowledge of the function and interrelationships of field construction entities and operations.
Knowledge of Bechtel Construction Standard Work Process Procedures, and full understanding of Welding SWPP series 4MP-T81-37..
Understands and applies the requirements of the Project Environmental, Safety & Health handbook and the Bechtel Core Processes to area of responsibility.
Knowledge of the impact and effect of using field automation tools.
Knowledge of environmental compliance laws and requirements.
Knowledge of government compliance standards.
Knowledge of Bechtel’s Zero Accident Safety Philosophy.
Knowledge of current industry standards.
Knowledge is normally gained through:
Technical educational courses that may be applied to engineering activities as well as experience in construction engineering which includes supervisory responsibilities and technical guidance of junior field engineers.
Get an International certification of Level II Welding Inspector
All applicants must have the right to work and remain in Chile. Position for Quebrada Blanca Fase 2 Project.
With the purpose of being accredited to perform in the field, the position will begin in Santiago or Iquique until receiving the corresponding authorization and then will move to the field as soon as possible to join the respective shift.
Salary will be based on current market rates and the posted grade will not be adjusted to suit the successful candidate.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability employer.