Bechtel Corporation Port General Superintedent in Iquique, Chile
Requisition ID: 210481
Assigned to a field construction organization in a supervisory capacity. Responsible for supervising and directing operations within assigned discipline or area. Supervises and directs craft activities, subordinate superintendents and others, as assigned. Ensures assigned construction operations and subcontractors performance are in compliance with specifications and within schedules and budgets. Performs general functions inherent in all supervisory field positions.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and operational supervision from assigned construction superintendent or other designated supervising superintendent.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides technical and administrative direction to subordinate superintendents, field staff and others, as assigned.
- Contacts are normally limited to jobsite personnel, including craft and subcontractor personnel, or others as designated by supervising superintendents.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Responsible for field construction operations within assigned discipline or area.
2. Determines workforce requirements. Coordinates established area operational plans. Schedules work to be performed and reviews work accomplished by each craft. Monitors work activities and ensures the quality of work performed.
3. Ensures the most current design document is used to complete the work and that all design changes are approved prior to implementation.
4. Approves craft time records using established automated tools.
5. Prepares reports and forecasts, including summary of construction progress, craft personnel forecasts, and expenditures forecast.
6. Monitors tool usage on the site. Prepares Field Material Requisitions for tools and consumables and ensures that the crafts have the tools they require to be productive.
7. Monitors the activities of subcontractors to ensure compliance with specifications and schedules.
8. Responsible for the implementation of corporate/project policies, procedures and instructions within assigned operations.
9. Coordinates activities with other disciplines or areas and clients’ resident representatives, as instructed by construction management.
10. Performs employee reviews and identifies training and development opportunities for subordinate personnel.
11. Ensures that Bechtel and local/national safety codes, requirements and standards are being complied with within assigned area of responsibility. Ensures the Zero Accident Philosophy is incorporated into every aspect of construction operations. Actively participates in scheduled safety meetings.
12. Implements Six Sigma tools, analysis, and decision making in the execution of duties.
Knowledge of a single or multi-discipline construction or engineering operation.
Knowledge of Bechtel’s Zero Accident Philosophy.
Knowledge of the Project ES&H Handbook, the Supervisors ES&H Manual, the Project Safety Management Plan and the Bechtel Core Processes.
Knowledge of the Six Sigma program tools and methodologies.
Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to field activities.
Knowledge of Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPPs).
Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications in accordance with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP) standards.
Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
Knowledge of the use of subcontracts, and the contractor and subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
Experience working with, supervising and administering subcontractors and/or Direct Hire workforce.
Knowledge is normally acquired through:
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, or
Specialized courses in construction technology and management, and/or
Prior practical work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge described above.
ROLE OVERVIEW :
Responsible for field construction operations within the Concentrator Area. Coordinates established area operational plans. Supervises construction contract activities, subordinator superintendents and others through scheduling work to be performed and reviewing work accomplished by each contractor. Coordinates and directs multi-discipline contractor's activities within the Concentrator optimizing the use of construction equipment and tools on the project. Provides back-up support to the Field Construction Manager. Ensures a Zero Accident Philosophy is incorporated into every aspect of construction operations.
Superintendents are responsible basically for the following, but not limited to:
1. Ensure that the contractor execute the work safely.
2. Ensure and enforce that the contractor’s employees and work areas meet all Project safety requirements.
3. Manage, supervise and coordinate the work of the contractor.
4. Ensure contractor complies with site work rules.
5. Ensures that all Project requirements and standards are being complied within the Concentrator.
6. Ensure that all required submittals are made by the contractor and accepted by Bechtel before work commences. In particular Safety Plan, Environmental Plan and Quality Control Plan.
7. Study and become thoroughly knowledgeable with the Main Contract, in particular: Exhibit B (Special conditions), Exhibit C (Provisions for payment), Exhibit D (Scope of work and specifications), Exhibit E (Drawings and Specifications).
8. Monitor performance of contractor against approved contract schedule and report deviations to the Construction Manager with a suggest plan for recovery.
9. Study and become thoroughly familiar with the contract schedule, in order to look ahead and anticipate problems that could affect the schedule.
10. Know the types and amounts of equipment and materials required to execute the work. For contractor supplied materials, ensure the contractor has ordered and is expediting the materials. For Bechtel supplied materials, work with Field Engineering and Procurement to ensure all materials and equipment are ordered and are being expedited.
11. Prepare daily reports in accordance with project procedures. Study and became fully knowledgeable of field construction and engineering procedures. Also is aware of field instructions issued to date.
12. Interface and cooperate with contract supervisors to coordinate others contractors work (if is the case) to avoid schedule delays.
A recognized degree in a job related engineering or scientific discipline or specialized courses in construction technology and management or prior practical work experience leading to a thorought understanding of the knowledge described below.
An understanding of the application and requirements of Project Environmental, Safety & Health. Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
Knowledge of a single or multi-discipline construction or engineering operation. Knowledge of the supervisory functions relating to field activities.
Knowledge of the use of subcontracts, and the contractor and subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents. Experience working with, supervising and administering subcontractors.
Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
Position for Quebrada Blanca Fase 2 Project Iquique, Port or Concentrator, Chile . With the purpose of being accredited to perform in the field, the position will begin in Santiago until receiving the corresponding authorization and then will move to the field as soon as possible to join the respective shift.
Salary will be based on current market rates and the posted grade will not be adjusted to suit the successful candidate.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.