Bechtel Corporation Communications Engineer in London, United Kingdom
London City Airport (LCY) is an international airport located in the Royal Docks in the London Borough of Newham, 11km east of the City of London. LCY has a single 1,500 metre (4,900ft) runway, and a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Public Use Aerodrome Licence that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flight training.
LCY currently operates within the terms of a July 2009 planning permission (ref 07/01510/VAR) which enables it to operate up to 120,000 aircraft movements per annum. LCY is scheduled to carry out a circa £350 million development to expand its capacity to 111,000 flights per year (81,000 in 2016) thereby increasing annual passenger numbers from 4.5 million to 6.5 million by 2025.
In June 2017 LCY engaged Bechtel to act as a Delivery Partner (DP) for the management of the works associated with this expansion.
Leads the execution of all Telecommunications & IT works to support the delivery of City Airport Development Programme (CADP) and Bechtel’s KPIs with LCY. Provides direction and guidance to a trade subcontractor team, interacts with fellow Delivery Partner team members and key stakeholders in defining and meeting project objectives in cost, time schedules, quality and safety.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and operational supervision from Engineering Manager and support from functional leads on the project
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides technical and administrative direction to multidisciplinary trade subcontractor project team as assigned.
Reports on project performance on regular basis to the CADP Engineering Manager and senior leadership team.
Continuous interfacing with subcontractors, design consultants, client personnel, project sponsor and various stakeholders around the airport.
Interface with the other CADP projects to manage and coordinate interfaces, milestones and site wide logistics and engineering development efforts.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Managing the execution of Telecommunications and IT works with responsibility for safety, quality, cost and programme including;
1. Managing the timely execution of the works through frequent oversight & inspection on site, application of scheduling methodologies for short & long term planning, expediting procurement of materials, equipment and pre-construction documentation.
2. Managing the delivery of the project from shop drawings, through construction, testing/commissioning and handover to LCY.
2. Develop planning construction methods and procedures, coordinates and resolves engineering or construction problems with contractors.
3. Provides direction to trade subcontractor personnel to ensure compliance with CADP procedures; reviews design drawings, related vendor/shop drawings and installation instructions.
4. Engages with stakeholders within the airport through construction and to completion. Assists in the development of construction phasing & temporary works planning to ensure the execution of the works does not compromise the operational performance of the Airport at any time.
5. Manages contractors’ works on site on daily basis, resolving and reporting on critical issues and coordinating with airport operations.
6. Manages contractors to ensure their compliance with CADP procedure and LCY operational requirements
7. Manages scope changes; ensuring changes are managed and reported as per CADP project procedures.
8. Chairs progress meetings, risk reduction meetings; taking the lead in resolving critical issues and interfacing with supply chain and LCY ops.
9. Reviews and certifies contractor’s payments, including verification of work completed at site.
10. Responsible for ensuring installation of materials and equipment conforms to LCY requirements; drawings and specifications.
11. Manages contractors’ delivery of pre-construction, shop drawings, testing/commissioning and handover documentation.
12. Implements and enforces policies, procedures and related work rules as established by CADP and LCY
13. Prepares reports and forecasts, as required, and report to Engineering Manager on progress of the works.
14. Assists contractors and suppliers with preparation of construction methods, schedules, and material and equipment requirements.
15. Coordinates with Engineering functional leadership and design consultants for resolution of design and constructability issues.
16. Reviews specifications, drawings, purchase orders, contract documents, inspection reports, schedules, instruction manuals and technical data associated with the works.
17. Ensures Zero Accident Philosophy and requirements are implemented and adhered to by craft and others when in the operational area, and tools and equipment are in safe condition and operated safely. Complies with regulatory requirements including the Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2015.
18. Seeks to identify and implement opportunities to implement cost-saving measures through the application of Six-sigma methodologies and construction innovations.
19. Utilises Bechtel standard applications proficiently such as Aconex EDMS and Synchro 4D planning software.
Engineering/construction experience in Telecommunications & IT services works, ideally in airports.
Working in airport operational environment is highly desirable.
Good commercial understanding of NEC3 contracts tools and mechanisms.
Awareness of environmental compliance laws and requirements.
Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accident” safety program.
Familiarity with current industry quality standards.
Familiar with CDM requirements and UK planning and building regulations.
Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
Knowledge and understanding of the application and requirements of the Project Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) Handbook and the Bechtel Core Processes as they relate to area of responsibility.
Familiar with Bechtel’s Business Ethics handbook and policies.
Prior experience supervising and administering subcontractors.
Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications in accordance with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP) standards.
Knowledge of the use of subcontracts; knowledge of the contractor/ subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
This knowledge is normally gained through:
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, OR
Specialized courses in construction management, AND/OR
Work experience as a construction engineer, engineer or assistant superintendent leading to an understanding of the technical knowledge described above.
On a large project, functions as a lead discipline engineer, coordinating related discipline activities and interfacing with other areas/disciplines on the jobsite.
On a small to medium-sized project, performs the duties of a lead engineer in an area, coordinating and directing a variety of disciplines, or performs the duties as a Project Field Engineer or Project Field Quality Control Engineer coordinating activities related to the operation of the assigned operating section of the jobsite.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability employer.