Bechtel Corporation ENGAGEMENT AND CONSULTATION LEAD in London, United Kingdom
Requisition ID: 215969
Relocation Authorized: None
Project No.: 01060-033
Position to be Panel Interviewed? No
Based in London, UK, this role leads the development and implementation of a plan to identify and engage all stakeholders as required during the pre-application and application phase for a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project. Manages the Statutory Consultation and the production of the Consultation Report. Ensures that stakeholder issues and potential areas of contention are identified and resolved where possible. Maintains effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders and represents the project at senior level.
A. Supervision Received
Receives supervision from the Project Manager.
Receives functional guidance from the GBU Sustainable Development Manager. B. Supervision Exercised
Line management responsibility for a team of two people
Provides operational direction to project team and contractors C. Contacts
Routine contact with the client on stakeholder engagement issues.
Maintains relationships with external stakeholders including local authorities, statutory consultees, residents and businesses at senior level (e.g. Local authority directors, chairs of Community Forums) ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Develops and maintains the project Stakeholder Engagement Plan as a live document
2. Manages the implementation of the Stakeholder Engagement Plan and co-ordinates all project stakeholder engagement activity, together with the Client Stakeholder Engagement Lead
3. Manages a specialist Consultation Consultant to deliver a two-stage public consultation
4. Co-ordinates the drafting of the DCO Consultation Report
5. Ensures that legal and planning guidance is taken at appropriate points in the programme to check that engagement and consultation activity meets the relevant legal and government requirements
6. Develops and implements a plan with Engineering, Environment and Property workstreams to ensure all stakeholders are engaged and engagement outcomes are documented to meet project objectives .
7. Identifies and escalates risks, opportunities, issues and concerns to the project promptly and effectively, and assists the Project Manager and Client in providing mitigation.
8. Supports onboarding training and ensures that project team and contractors are fully briefed on stakeholder issues and concerns.
9. Presents, and represents the project at public meetings.
10. Leads a functional team, setting objectives, reviewing performance and ensuring that staff have the necessary skills and understanding to deliver the team's objectives.
11. Ensures robust and auditable records management is maintained across all engagement activity.
12. Ensures that sustainability requirements, risks and opportunities are identified, embedded and addressed through the Engineering, Environment and Property teams and workstreams (with a focus on economic and social sustainability outcomes)
Degree or other relevant qualification
Relevant professional membership (i.e. Consultation Institute, APM, RTPI, IEMA) desirable
Proven track record of planning and delivering consultation and engagement activity across a diverse range of stakeholders (ideally related to construction/ infrastructure projects)
Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders including local authorities, community leaders and representatives, business groups and property owners
Excellent communication and influencing skills
Excellent planning and organizational skills and an ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
Experience of supervising staff and contractors/ consultants
Broad knowledge of economic and social sustainability principles and application during project design phase
Skilled in working collaboratively with others in a complex integrated environment Bechtel is committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture where our colleagues feel valued, challenged, motivated and treated fairly. It is expected that you will actively promote and embed this culture in your work. Health and safety is a core Bechtel value. We are relentless in keeping people safe from harm, and we provide a healthy work environment. It is expected that you will take personal responsibility for your own and others health, safety and wellbeing in your work. As Senior Responsible Owner for consultation events, the post holder has a direct responsibility and accountability for the health and safety of all staff, external suppliers and visitors who work at or visit them.
Bechtel’s internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.