Bechtel Corporation Labor Relations Supervisor in Los Vilos, Chile
Requisition ID: 218388
Performs functions outlined in the Labor Relations action plan for field projects within a limited geographical region. Decides on necessary preventative and/or corrective actions to minimize labor problems that may lead to work stoppages and construction schedule delays. Works with local and regional labor union representatives to maintain cooperative labor-management relations on the assigned construction projects. Interprets and administers labor union contracts, enforces work rules, establishes staffing requirements and participates in and negotiates local and regional labor contracts.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
A. Supervision Received
Receives functional and operational direction from labor relations management, including Assistant Manager and Manager of Labor Relations.
If located on a project, receives operational direction from the jobsite construction maintenance or operations manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
- May direct the work of Labor Relations Assistants in offices and on assigned field projects.
Continuously advises client personnel and the construction manager resident on the project of immediate and/or anticipated labor problems and workforce shortages.
Maintains frequent contact with other construction contractors and local and regional construction contractor associations to monitor contract negotiations and area labor practices that might affect project operations.
Maintains occasional contact with governmental agencies to obtain advice and guidance in their areas of expertise and to exchange information on labor data. ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Analyzes immediate and/or anticipated labor problems. Decides on and implements corrective actions to prevent work stoppages and construction schedule delays.
2. Interprets and administers applicable labor union contracts and enforces work rules. Works with subcontractor representatives performing work on the construction project to ensure labor contracts are interpreted correctly and work rules are enforced uniformly.
3. Develops negotiation strategies and tactics and represents Bechtel in local and regional labor contract negotiations. Represents Bechtel independently or serves on the negotiation team of a local or regional construction contractor association. Provides assistance when directed to Labor Relations Representatives involved in local contract negotiations.
4. Analyzes jurisdictional work assignments based on local precedents and practices. Where no precedents are established, bases decision on knowledge of equipment and work tasks involved.
5. Conducts and/or provides guidance in conducting informal and formal grievance hearings in accordance with applicable labor union contract procedures.
6. Keeps abreast of labor laws and related legislation applicable to construction labor union employees.
7. Conducts local recruiting efforts for manual employees through the local labor unions and coordinates procedures with the Labor Relations Supervisor when nationwide recruiting is required.
8. Works with Bechtel’s Legal and Human Resources representatives on labor union attempts to organize non-manual employees at construction project or office locations.
9. Works with local labor union officials towards meeting affirmative action goals applicable to the manual labor force employed on the construction project and to meet apprenticeship ratios as established in labor union contracts. Performs the function of compliance officer for manual employees on assigned projects.
10. Conducts jobsite training programs for manual employees and their supervisors. Develops and/or adapts existing training programs to cover specific working conditions or local labor practices covering issues such as work rule enforcement, resolution of grievances, jurisdictional work assignments and contract and equal employment/affirmation action policies and procedures for manual employees.
11. When delegated, works with Bechtel’s Procurement and subcontract personnel on material and equipment purchases and on the selection of potential subcontractors.
12. Works with Bechtel’s Legal representatives to develop documentation in support of legal actions arising from labor disputes and/or equal employment/affirmative action cases filed by manual employees. Serves as witness when required.
13. Represents Bechtel as a member of local or regional construction contractor associations and joint apprenticeship committees as approved and/or delegated by the Manager of Labor Relations.
14. Responsible for implementing craft process improvement programs at the jobsite level. Works with local and regional building trades representatives on process improvement initiatives.
15. Along with the jobsite Safety representative, responsible for field implementation of Environmental, Safety and Health programs as they pertain to craft personnel.
Experience in performing labor relations functions on a construction project or in an office.
Working knowledge of labor contract negotiation strategies and tactics.
Knowledge of domestic labor and employment law including employment discrimination and anti-retaliation, wage and hour, job protection, compensation and benefit, discrimination and harassment and common laws that pertain to manual construction workers.
Knowledge of labor contract grievance procedures and their practical application.
Knowledge and experience of jurisdictional work assignment practices.
Knowledge of organizational structure and work practices of labor unions.
Knowledge of Labor Relations Department organization and policies.
Experience in developing training programs for manual employees and their supervisors.
Skill in written and verbal communication.
The above is normally acquired through:
Work experience and/or
A recognized bachelor’s degree in labor relations or business related degree.
All applicants must have the right to work and remain in Chile.
Position for Los Pelambres Project in Field, Chile .
Salary will be based on current market rates and the posted grade will not be adjusted to suit the successful candidate
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
www.bechtel.com at https://www.bechtel.com/
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.