Bechtel Corporation Proposal Manager - Defense & Security, Reston (215048) in Reston, Virginia
Requisition ID: 215048
Position Title: Proposal Manager - Defense & Security, Reston (215048)
Location: Reston, VA
Relocation Authorized: None
Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background check
Bechtel is one of the most respected engineering, project management and construction companies in the world. In our Nuclear, Security and Environmental (NS&E) global business unit, the demand for our expertise is growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research and development through engineering, procurement, construction and operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner and safer.
Responsible for the development, review, approval, and production of large, complex proposals and other marketing documents for the D&S business line, including RFIs/RFQs, Sources Sought, and presentations. Must adhere to RFP and corporate compliance requirements. Supports other business line proposal needs as necessary. Establishes/implements all procedures, standards, and schedules associated with a specific proposal and directs the work of all personnel assigned to the proposal in coordination with Capture/BD Manager. Responsible to develop and manage compliant, compelling, and winning proposals. Must be a capable writer and editor with the ability to create proposal content and promote Bechtel’s competitive differentials/advantages, work to strict deadlines, effectively communicate with clients, partners, and fellow employees, schedule/complete multiple tasks, and be flexible and comfortable working in a fast paced, results-oriented environment.
1. Collaborates with Capture/M&BD managers to develop proposal and teaming strategies, including the identification of win points and win plan, KBFs/KSFs, relevant past performance, customer issues, and competitor strengths/weaknesses during pre-solicitation release phases and throughout the proposal process.
2. Translates RFP/RFQ/RFI requirements into the compliance matrix, annotated proposal outline, and content plans that are designed to deliver a timely, winning proposal that is compliant with both the RFP and corporate requirements.
3. Understands the federal procurement process and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements.
4. Develops format and style guidelines in collaboration with Proposal Specialist and/or Graphics and assumes responsibility for the quality of the proposal in terms of appearance.
5. Prepares proposal budgets and schedules, proactively tracks and reports progress against these baselines, and develops and implements corrective actions, when necessary, to keep the proposal effort on track in relation to the necessary production schedule.
6. In collaboration with Capture/M&BD Manager, conducts milestone assessments regarding proposal readiness for color team reviews, sets color team review goals and objectives, dispositions color team reviewer comments, and develops color team recovery plan.
7. Assembles all required proposal resources, coordinating with the Proposal Center Manager for production/writing/editing support and with the Capture/M&BD Manager and/or functional managers for technical support (SME and functional authors, estimating, scheduling, etc.).
8. With the Capture/M&BD Manager, conducts the kickoff meeting and other proposal process meetings, including Plan of the Day, storyboard reviews, color team reviews, etc.
9. Creates proposal content and promotes Bechtel’s competitive advantages/discriminators by working with team members to understand market positions, competition, current capabilities, culture, and client drivers.
10. Implements excellent oral and written communication skills as both writer and editor.
11. Reviews all proposal material being developed, offers training and guidance to authors and others as required, and resolves both content and production issues.
12. Serves as volume lead, proposal writer, color team or peer reviewer, or other proposal roles as required.
13. Manages the preparation of oral presentations and follow-up submissions, such as best-and-final offers, Evaluation Notifications/Notices, etc.
14. Takes post-proposal responsibility for documenting and disseminating lessons learned, debriefing information, and proposal process improvement suggestions to the Proposal Center Manager, Manager of Strategic Planning and M&BD, other proposal managers, and others as appropriate.
15. Manages or conducts special assignments related to marketing and business development.
BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, with at least 9 years of related work experience, or a Master’s degree with 7 years of experience.
Active security clearance TS/SCI (lapsed clearances will be considered).
Proficiency in technical writing and editing, including editorial practices and standards.
Ability to work unpredictable schedules, including overtime, weekends, and holidays as required by solicitation.
Ability to travel to support proposal efforts as needed.
Ability to effectively lead diverse, multi-disciplinary teams of proposal personnel and train participants in required skills or procedures.
Ability to work confidently and empowered as a senior member of the M&BD team, including making sound decisions with regards to proposal strategies.
Ability to interpret bid/solicitation requirements and proposal response strategy and approaches on individual opportunities.
Knowledge of U.S. Government proposal standards and requirements including thorough knowledge of U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Navy, and related government agencies.
Knowledge of U.S. defense and security industry, including customers, competitors, and partners.
Knowledge of proposal preparation processes and procedures, including ‘Shipley Method’ and its variants, and ability to flexibly utilize various processes and procedures dependent upon nature and scope of proposal effort.
Skill in preparing proposals, qualification documents, presentations, and other marketing materials.
Skill in persuasive written and oral communication, including excellence in writing/editing compliantly and relevantly to bid questions and conceptualizing effective graphics to present complex technical, organizational, or procedural material.
Ability to think creatively in support of compelling win themes, KBFs/KSFs, and proposal responses.
Expert knowledge in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint; working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat and InDesign.
Minimum 6 years in proposal management, proposal development, and the direct management of proposal operations, specifically in Federal proposal management.
US citizenship preferred.
Diverse defense and security customer experience.
Diverse proposal experience, from >$1B multi-month efforts to IDIQs and task order proposals.
Diverse experience in large corporate organizations and small businesses.
Broad and specific range of Federal, State, and local government procurement regulations and practices (including the FAR and DFAR).
Proposal management training and education (e.g., APMP certification).
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.