Bechtel Corporation Senior Nuclear Engineering Specialist, NSCE in Reston, Virginia
Requisition ID: 212349
Position Title: Senior Nuclear Engineering Specialist, NSCE (212349)
Location: Reston, VA
Relocation Authorized: None
Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background check
Participate in the establishment of an NS&E Nuclear Safety Center of Excellence (NSCE) with nuclear safety technical expertise to support government and commercial nuclear projects, and promote new opportunities. Participates in identification and staffing of key resources/expertise, identification of key tools/software/procedures, expanding our industry presence, developing and implementing a training/certification program and development/implementation of the strategic plan. Also evaluates new nuclear opportunities to identify technology readiness and challenges. Prepare reports to document technology assessment conclusions and observations. Assist in communication with customers, technology providers, and regulatory agencies. Represent Bechtel in technical conferences and industry committee meetings. Coordinate with various disciplines and functions. Attend and chair project meetings.
Executes assignments concerned with specialized or unique engineering/scientific requirements in NS&E. Has technical responsibility for independently interpreting, organizing, and coordinating these assignments. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope and may involve development of novel concepts, approaches and solutions.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Applies expertise in a specialized field of engineering or science to broadly stated technical problems.
2. Identifies and defines problems; plans and conducts research aimed at their solution. Conducts or leads special studies on new technologies, methods, and materials.
3. Carries out special or unique studies requiring unconventional or novel approaches or research techniques.
4. Uses all available guides and precedents and expands and develops where these contain critical gaps, are only partially related to the problem, or are largely lacking because of the novel character of the project.
5. Leads, as requested, in the formulation of advanced engineering/scientific concepts during proposal development and preliminary design phases and presents these to client management.
6. Conducts research, presents papers, and keeps abreast of technological developments in a specialty, keeping engineering management informed of important new advances.
7. Serves as consultant to project and specialty engineering/scientific groups, providing advice and counsel on assignments having special and unique features.
8. Supports preparation of and reviews discipline estimates, discipline work plans, budgets and schedules.
9. Assists in the development and coordination of special educational and training programs for Bechtel personnel and/or clients.
10. Participates in and fosters a
11. work environment based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Specialized knowledge in a specific field of science or engineering.
Knowledge of engineering/scientific systems, calculations, applications, construction methods and materials and relevant computer applications.
Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved.
Good working knowledge of industry and regulatory standards and design criteria in the specialty.
Working knowledge of Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), design guides, and relevant Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs). Has the capability to develop procedures and design guides and demonstrated knowledge of computer aided engineering (CAE) tools to perform calculations.
Basic knowledge of Bechtel’s administrative practices.
Skill in oral and written communication. Has written a professional society journal paper.
Participated in technical society committee or a code committee.
A Bachelor degree in Nuclear Engineering from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience.
Must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Experience with DOE nuclear projects safety basis development, or commercial nuclear power plant licensing or analysis.
Knowledge in nuclear safety/engineering.
Must obtain a professional engineering license (in any engineering discipline) within two years of assignment.
- Professional engineering (PE) License in Nuclear Engineering or other engineering discipline.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.