Bechtel Corporation Senior Nuclear Engineer, WTP (212469) in Richland, Washington
Requisition ID: 212469
Position Title: Senior Nuclear Engineer, WTP (212469)
Location: Richland, WA
Relocation Authorized: National - Family
Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background check
Bechtel is designing, constructing, and commissioning the world’s largest radioactive-waste treatment plant for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) in southeastern Washington State. The project will use vitrification technology to process and stabilize 56 million gallons (212 million liters) of radioactive and chemical waste stored at the Hanford Site which is a byproduct of plutonium production during World War II and the Cold War era.
The cleanup project is one of DOE’s most technically challenging and the largest undertaking of its kind—equivalent to building two nuclear power plants. The construction site spans 65 acres (26 hectares) and includes facilities for pretreatment, low-activity waste vitrification, high-level waste vitrification, and the analytical laboratory as well as operations and maintenance buildings, utilities, and other support facilities.
Positions located at the Construction Site (22 miles north of Richland) work a 4 x 10 schedule, M-Th, 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Other work locations may work a 9-80’s schedule, M-F 7:00 am to 4:30 pm with alternating Fridays off. Extended hours as needed.
Plans and conducts independent work within the Nuclear, Security, and Environmental (NSE) global business unit requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. Devises new approaches to solving problems.
Working knowledge of precedents in the specialty area, the principles and practices of nuclear engineering and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines. Understands the standard engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating, and conducts independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques. Normally uses conventional approaches to technical problems encountered. Provides technical direction and assigns work to engineers, designers, and drafters who assist on specific assignments. Performs most assignments independently with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance from Engineering Specialists or Supervisors on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed project plans. Provides technical direction and assigns work to subordinate engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who assist in performing specific assignments. Independently contacts vendor’s representatives and project field personnel to gather or give information. Contacts client counterparts as directed.
1. Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work for a global business unit usually in one discipline in a project or staff group. Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
2. Performs work using Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs) and appropriate 2-D and 3-D computer aided design and computer aided engineering (CAD and CAE) tools.
3. Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
4. Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
5. When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
6. Assists in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
7. Prepares letters to vendors and clients.
8. Reviews bid analyses and makes recommendation.
9. Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
10. Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
11. Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
12. Reviews and checks work of subordinate engineers.
13. Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
14. Prepare and / or review drawings (P&IDs, GAs, etc.), system descriptions, design criteria, technical specification, and calculations to ensure compliance with project requirements and design guidelines.
Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
Understands the application of Engineering Department Procedures, relevant Bechtel design guides. Broad knowledge of the application of engineering to plant constructability as applied to construction methods and materials.
Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of CAD (both 2-D and 3-D), CAE and relevant Bechtel Standard Computer Applications to perform the work.
Understanding of engineering planning and control methods including computerized methods.
Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
Understanding of industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the nuclear engineering discipline.
Bachelor of Science degree in Nuclear Engineering or other engineering fields from an accredited university with a minimum of 6 years of related experience
Developmental experience such as practical work experience in design engineering, science or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering, or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or other engineering/construction firms.
Technical knowledge of nuclear engineering systems, engineering calculations and applications of engineering methods.
Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen, physical (if located at the construction site), and background check.
Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
Knowledgeable of and have experience in Issues Management in a nuclear safety culture.
Demonstrate a personal strong commitment to quality, integration and safety.
Ability to work effectively with a variety of project personnel in developing working solutions to complex problems.
Good knowledge of major industry or regulatory standards and design criteria pertinent to the nuclear discipline.
Nuclear Engineering degree from an accredited college or university.
Possess the legal right to work and remain in the United States without sponsorship.
Experience as an engineer at a major commercial, industrial, or nuclear facility.
Experience working on DOE or DOD government projects.
Experience working on the design of nuclear or chemical process facilities.
Ability to plan and schedule assigned work and complete tasks on time.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities.
Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
Demonstrated ability to work with people of varied backgrounds and objectives.
Currently holds a Bechtel Engineering Certification, PE, or EIT.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.