Bechtel Corporation Contracts Manager - Buildings (Sydney) in Sydney, Australia
Requisition ID: 215919
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner and Project Manager (Definition) for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia, and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au at http://www.wsaco.com.au/ .
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Read more here!
Work location: Liverpool, NSW, Australia
Manages the contract operations to ensure the effective administration of contracts assigned. Responsible for implementation of the Standard Work Process Procedures and automated contract management systems. Responsible for the training of personnel assigned to support contract administration.
Applicants must have experience in the tendering and administration for the following types of contracts preferably within Australia or internationally
1. Lump Sum / Unit Rate Contracts valued in excess of AUD 500m
2. Demonstrated experience in prequalification, tendering, negotiations and awards of major construction contracts
3. Proven experience in the commercial administration and management of Commercial Construction Contracts (High-Rise Hotel / Apartment Developments, Shopping Centres, Offices, Airport Terminals, Metro Rail Projects (Stations), Subdivisions etc)
4. Experienced in management of contracts under Australian Contracting Laws, BCIPA and other statutory requirements
5. Familiarity with Federal / Government Procurement Laws and Regulations
6. Experience in management of Design and Construct Contracts
A. Supervision Received
§ Reports directly to the Area Contract Manager.
§ Receives functional guidance from the responsible Manager of Contracts and Commercial Lead.
B. Supervision Exercised
§ Provides operational supervision and technical guidance to contract Administrator(s), Contract Specialist(s). Applicants should have demonstrated leadership ability for a small team of 2-3 direct reports
§ Contract representatives in the customer organization
§ Project Team members
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
1. Responsible for the development and implementation of a contract Management Program for the project consistent with the Standard Work Process Procedures and the Contract Management Manual.
2. Analyze the contract general terms and conditions to highlight areas of risk such as ambiguities, conflicts or deviations from the scope of work. As work proceeds, make recommendations to the Site Manager on the mitigation of these risks; closely monitor and support remedial actions and recommend appropriate tradeoffs.
3. Responsible for the development and management of appropriate mechanisms to monitor compliance with contract terms and conditions.
4. Responsible for working with the other Project Team members to ensure that Bechtel or customer related actions or inactions which could result in constructive contract changes are identified and make recommendations on their resolution.
5. Responsible for the development and management of a procedure to recognize and identify contract claims as they develop and manage the timely resolution under the changes provisions wherever possible, obtaining claims and legal expertise as appropriate.
6. Maintain a working relationship with Construction, Engineering, Legal and Risk Management to facilitate organizational interfaces between those performing contract administration.
7. Provide Site Manager and Area Contracts Manager with reviews and analysis of the contract financial data.
8. Responsible for adherence to contract insurance provisions and to ensure implementation of any requirements in this regard with Regional and Corporate Risk Management personnel.
Experience and courses in pricing (lump sum and unit rate contracts), contract law, contract drafting, administration and negotiation of change orders, effective correspondence, planning and scheduling
Thorough knowledge of contract administration, procedures and documents relating to a multi-discipline construction project
Direct experience in the function of managing workload distribution and execution of the work as well as personnel interviews, selection, classification changes, performance evaluation, career counseling, transfers and terminations
Working knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices, applicable government and commercial regulations and practices, and Bechtel policies, procedures and work practices
Maintain highest ethical standards and practices in procurement and contract administration
At least 10 years experience in major infrastructure and/or civil engineering contracts
Applicants shall hold a minimum of the following qualifications
1. Degree in Quantity Surveying, Contract or Commercial Law, Construction Management.
2. Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
3. Applicants will be required to complete an application form if selected for interview and provide at least two references from previous managers or clients within last 3 years.
4. Current member of a professional institution (Australian, New Zealand or Royal Institute of Quantity Surveyors or similar)
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.