Bechtel Corporation Technical Advisor Lead (Sydney) in Sydney, United States
Requisition ID: 209125
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner and Project Manager (Definition) for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia, and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au .
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Read more here!
The Technical Advisor Lead (TAL) is responsible to provide guidance and resolve complex technical engineering and/or architectural issues on the project. During the definition phase, the TAL will work directly with the customer, gathering input to define the stakeholder requirements. Leverage past aviation definition or programmatic phase experience to help the customer make key decisions. Work with the key airport and business stakeholders and planners to develop design options and execution strategies that meet performance, cost and schedule objectives and present recommendations to the customer. Foster a culture of innovation to bring new concepts and technologies to meet requirements and exceed customer expectations. Identify potential project risks based on past aviation experience and recommend mitigation strategies. Share lessons learned from previous aviation projects, optimizing the delivery model to meet the customer’s requirements and program objectives. The TAL is also responsible to review Design work packages developed by 3rd Party engineering consultants and/or design firms and ensure they meet the Project requirements. Provide technical guidance to the discipline engineers and architects assigned to the project. Reports to the Project Engineering Manager.
A. Supervision Received
Level 4 - Public
- Receives operational supervision from the Project Engineering Manager and the Project Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Exercises functional direction over assigned Engineers, Engineering Supervisors and Project Engineers.
- Participates in contacts with the client and 3rd Party designers on technical matters relating to the project
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Directs and provides technical and administrative guidance to assigned Project and/or discipline Engineers in the management of engineering on the project.
2. Keeps informed on the status of all project issues involving assigned personnel with respect to schedule, budget, work quality and client satisfaction, and contributes leadership, experience and expertise in the solution of complex technical issues.
3. Formulates and recommends for approval, solutions to complex technical issues; present solutions internally, externally or to the customer.
4. Reporting to Project Engineering Manager on Engineering performance and progress of technical issues.
5. Participate in the review and acceptance of 3rd Party produced design documents.
6. Facilitate with the supply of technical information and requirements to the designers to allow the programme to progress.
7. Participates in project planning prior to proposals to provide technical guidance in the engineering review of proposals.
9. Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project or program.
Experience of major airport design and delivery projects and models with understanding of operational and business case development studies. Ability to manage engineering design activities in a highly regulated, multi-stakeholder environment.
Broad knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards, and design criteria in all engineering disciplines. Aviation project experience is essential.
Extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials and applications of Building Information Modelling (BIM) computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided engineering (CAE) to engineering problems.
Experience managing engineering design efforts including management of 3rd Party designers with a minimum of 2 large infrastructure projects.
Proficient knowledge of activities and operations in other functions including procurement, construction, environmental safety and health (ES&H), and quality assurance.
Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication including technical writing.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, open-minded with an energetic and proactive personal style.
Experience in complex stakeholder management and negotiation.Proficient in negotiation for dealing with client representatives.
The above is normally acquired through:
A recognized degree in architecture, engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, AND
A professional license in an engineering discipline, or a license to practice architecture from a recognized licensing board is preferred, AND
Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, architectural design or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.